Bratwurst Potato Skillet Dinner
- Yield 2 servings
"My husband's grandmother came from Germany, so I was inspired to keep the German cooking traditions going in the family. This skillet dinner is one of the dishes she made."
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 medium potatoes, sliced
- 2 fully cooked bratwurst links
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a heavy skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Cook the potatoes until they are lightly browned and crisp-tender, about 6 minutes. Add the bratwurst, onion, and green bell pepper. Stirring occasionally, cook until the vegetables are crisp-tender and heated through, 5 to 10 minutes. Combine the soy sauce, orange juice, basil, salt, and pepper in a small bowl. Stir the sauce mixture into the meat and vegetables, and heat through.
Tips From Our Test Kitchen:
This dish is good with almost any type of cooked smoked sausage or bratwurst. Serve it with rye bread and mustard.
Recipe by Lucy Bradshaw, New Bern, N.C.