Braised Cabbage Rolls
- Yield 8 servings
- Prep 15 mins
- Cook 105 mins
Turkey and quinoa make for a healthy spin on a classic. Great for dinner or a shared appetizer!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large onions, slivered or thinly slice (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1/4 cup Marsala, sherry or water
- 1 head Savoy cabbage (2 3/4 - 3 pounds)
- 2 1/2 pounds ground turkey
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 cup chopped parsley
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- Coarsely ground black pepper
- 4 to 6 cups boiling reduced-sodium chicken broth
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil for cabbage.
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook until soft and browned, about 15 minutes. Add Marsala and cook until most of the liquid is evaporated.
- Cut around core of cabbage to release leaves. Working in batches, drop leaves in boiling water; cook until soft, 4 to 5 minutes. Drain and cool. (You’ll need 12 large and 12 small cabbage leaves.)
- Combine turkey, carrots, sage, salt, garlic and parsley in a large mixing bowl. Fold in quinoa and onions. Season with pepper.
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Place 1/3 cup meat mixture onto 1 large cabbage leaf. Mash down slightly and lay a small leaf on top. Place another 1/3 cup meat mixture on top. Fold in sides and roll up leaf firmly from bottom. Place in a 5-quart casserole dish, seam-side down. Repeat with remaining leaves and meat mixture to make 12 rolls. Place tightly into pan and top with any extra cabbage. Pour enough boiling chicken broth into pan to come most of the way up the sides of casserole. Cover with foil.
- Bake 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350F and bake 1 hour. Remove from oven and let stand 15 to 20 minutes, covered. Cabbage should be tender enough to cut with a fork.
- To serve, place rolls on soup plates and ladle broth over.
Recipe by Nancy Krcek Allen.