Braised Polish Noodles with Cabbage
- Yield 4 servings
A vegetarian version of a classic Polish dish starring cabbage, noodles and a smattering of caraway seeds.
- -- Salt, to taste
- -- Water
- 8 ounces dried noodles
- 1 tablespoon olive or canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 -- garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon caraway seeds
- 1 large head green cabbage, shredded
- 1 large granny smith apple, peeled and chopped
- -- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup sour cream or plain yogurt, for garnish (optional)
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the noodles and boil 10 to 12 minutes until tender. Drain in a colander and rinse with cold water. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions, garlic and caraway seeds; saute 2 minutes until the onions are soft. Add the cabbage and apples; saute 4 minutes or until tender. Add the cooked noodles to the pan, mix well and season with salt and pepper. If desired, serve with a small dollop of sour cream or yogurt.