- Yield 4 servings
Braising bitter endive makes it mellow, supple and silky.
- 4 heads Belgian endive, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Slice off 1/4 inch of the endive’s root end and cut out the core with a paring knife.
- Melt butter in a baking dish or saucepan over medium heat. Add endive and cook, turning several times, until slightly softened, about 5 minutes. Add remaining ingredients; cover and simmer 20 to 25 minutes.
Recipe by Robin Mather.