Braised Collard Greens
- Yield 4 servings
Instead of ham hocks and pork fat, these collard greens are made with tempeh or smoked soy bacon.
- 2 teaspoons pure olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 8 ounces Fakin Bacon, diced
- 2 (1- to 1 1/4-pound) bunches collard greens, heavy stems discarded, remainder chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Saute onions 2 minutes or until softened. Add the bacon and saute 1 minute. Add the collard greens and water. Stir well, reduce heat and simmer, covered, about 10 minutes or until the greens are tender and most of the liquid is evaporated. Season with pepper, salt and vinegar.