Braised Chicken with Mushrooms
- Yield: 4 servings
Valerie uses dried morels in this recipe, but if you can't find them, substitute dried porcini.
- 1cup dried morel or porcini mushrooms (1/2 ounce)
- All-purpose flour
- 4 chicken legs and thighs, still attached
- 1/2teaspoon coarse salt, divided
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2tablespoons olive oil
- 2tablespoons butter
- 2cups shiitake mushrooms (4 ounces), stems removed and caps julienned
- 2 leeks, white part only washed and sliced in half moons
- 1/3cup sherry or white wine
- 1/2cup crème fraiche
- Fresh tarragon or parsley
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- Rinse morels gently. Cover completely with boiling water (about 1 ½ cups). Let stand 30 minutes or until they are soft and pliable. Strain, reserving liquid. Slice morels into halves.
- Sprinkle chicken with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper and coat with flour.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil and 2 tablespoons butter to a large Dutch oven. Brown chicken over medium-high heat about 5 minutes per side. Remove from pan. Add sliced shiitakes to pan and cook over medium heat until juice is released. Add remaining salt, pepper and leeks and cook over medium heat until translucent (about 15 minutes).
- Add sherry to pan, stirring up brown bits on bottom of the pan. Whisk in morel broth and crème fraiche. Add reserved morels.
- Return chicken to pan (along with any juices). Cover, place in oven and bake 30 minutes, or until chicken is done. Serve in shallow bowls over a bed of fresh arugula or wild rice.
Recipe by Valerie Rice, Eat Drink Garden
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 640
- Fat 37
- Cholesterol 305mg
- Sodium 550mg
- Carbohydrate 16g
- Fiber 2g
- Protein 59g