Braised Chicken with Mushrooms
- Yield 4 servings
Serve this chicken over a bed of wild rice to soaks up the delicious juices.
Valerie uses dried morels in this recipe, but if you can't find them, substitute dried porcini.
- 1 cup dried morel or porcini mushrooms (1/2 ounce)
- All-purpose flour
- 4 chicken legs and thighs, still attached
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt, divided
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups shiitake mushrooms (4 ounces), stems removed and caps julienned
- 2 leeks, white part only washed and sliced in half moons
- 1/3 cup sherry or white wine
- 1/2 cup crème fraiche
- Fresh tarragon or parsley
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- Rinse morels gently. Cover completely with boiling water (about 1 ½ cups). Let stand 30 minutes or until they are soft and pliable. Strain, reserving liquid. Slice morels into halves.
- Sprinkle chicken with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper and coat with flour.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil and 2 tablespoons butter to a large Dutch oven. Brown chicken over medium-high heat about 5 minutes per side. Remove from pan. Add sliced shiitakes to pan and cook over medium heat until juice is released. Add remaining salt, pepper and leeks and cook over medium heat until translucent (about 15 minutes).
- Add sherry to pan, stirring up brown bits on bottom of the pan. Whisk in morel broth and crème fraiche. Add reserved morels.
- Return chicken to pan (along with any juices). Cover, place in oven and bake 30 minutes, or until chicken is done. Serve in shallow bowls over a bed of fresh arugula or wild rice.
Recipe by Valerie Rice, Eat Drink Garden