Braised Chicken and Vegetables
- Yield 4 servings
Most likely you have everything on hand you need for this easy chicken dish.
This recipe is based on a French peasant dish. It uses inexpensive flavorful chicken thighs and other pantry staples. Use an inexpensive, yet good wine—we like the Chardonnay from Mirassou.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 bone-in chicken thighs
- 1 potato, peeled and chopped
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped (1 cup)
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 cup white wine (such as Chardonnay)
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1/2 lemon, thinly sliced (optional)
- Heat oil in a large heavy skillet over medium heat. Add chicken, and brown on both sides, 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from pan. Add potato, onion and carrots; cook 5 minutes.
- Return chicken to pan (with any juices). Add garlic, wine, broth, thyme, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer 15 to 20 minutes. Add chopped tomato and serve. Garnish with lemon slices, if desired.
Recipe by Chef Jon Ashton
For a complete menu featuring Braised Chicken and Vegetables, along with 11 more simple menus for year round entertaining, check out our Supper Club Menus Recipe App for the iPad on iTunes.