Bourbon Brownies with Cocoa Nibs
- Yield 16 pieces
- Prep 20 mins
- Cook 35 mins
A blond, boozy brownie rich with chocolate chips.
Bake these brownies in a 9-inch square pan, so they are thick and chewy, or in a 13-by-9-inch pan for a thinner bar. Wrapped tightly in foil, they keep up to a week and ship particularly well. The cocoa nibs, found in specialty food stores, add a nice crunch.
- 2 cups dark brown sugar
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 1/4 cups bittersweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup cocoa nibs (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a baking pan (9-inch square or 13-by-9-inch) with butter.
- Combine sugar and butter in a medium saucepan or microwave-safe bowl and heat until butter melts. Stir well to combine.
- Combine eggs, vanilla and bourbon in a small bowl.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a large mixing bowl. Add butter mixture and mix well. Add egg mixture and mix well. Stir in pecans, chocolate chips and cocoa nibs, if using.
- Spread batter evenly into prepared pan. Bake 35 to 40 minutes in a 9-inch square pan or 25 to 30 minutes in a 13-by-9-inch pan. Cool completely and cut into squares.
Recipe by Paula Disbrowe.