Boston Baked Beans
- Yield 8 servings
This classic bean dish, with ham, molasses and mustard, is cooked for hours in a slow oven.
- 1 pound dried navy beans
- 2 medium onions, vertically sliced
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons brown mustard
- 1/2 pound salt pork or country ham
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Black pepper to taste
- Place beans in a large bowl and add enough cold water to cover by about 1 inch. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- The next day drain and rinse beans. Place in a large pot and cover with 2 quarts cold water. Cover and bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 30 to 45 minutes or until shells crack. Drain, reserving cooking water.
- Preheat oven to 250F. Place onions in bottom of a 2 ½ -quart bean pot or casserole dish and add beans. In a large bowl, combine molasses, sugar, mustard and about 1 ½ cups cooking water and pour over beans. Add more cooking water if needed to cover beans. Place salt pork on top and tuck in slightly. Cover and bake 7 to 8 hours. Check occasionally and add more of the reserved bean cooking water as necessary to keep beans covered.
Recipe by Jean Kressy