Bok Choy Peanut Pineapple Salad
- Yield 12 servings
Sweet-sour-savory-spicy: this refreshing salad hits all those flavor notes. This dressing takes its inspiration from a dipping sauce for Vietnamese summer rolls.
- 1/3 cup organic peanut butter (either smooth or chunky—your choice)
- -- Juice of 2 limes (about 4 tablespoons)
- 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 1 -- garlic clove
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 8 to 10 -- bok choys (about 4 pounds), halved lengthwise, leaves cut into wide chiffonade, stalk into bite-sized pieces
- 1 -- daikon radish, shredded
- 5 -- carrots, peeled and sliced on the diagonal
- 1 large cucumber, peeled, cut into halves lengthwise, sliced into thin half moons
- 1 -- ripe pineapple, peeled, cored, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 bunch green onions, sliced (use both white and green parts)
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup salted, roasted peanuts, chopped
- To prepare the dressing, place all ingredients, except sesame and canola oils, into a food processor fitted with the swivel blade. Pulse first to blend, then process until smooth, while adding the two oils.
- To prepare salad, layer bottom of wide salad bowl with bok choy. Continue building up layers with shredded daikon, carrots, cucumbers, pineapple and green onions. Drizzle with dressing. Garnish with cilantro and chopped peanuts. Serves 12.