Boiled Peanut Cake with Sweet Potatoes and Satsuma Tangerine Slices
- Yield: 8 servings
- 2cups boiled peanuts, shelled
- 4 eggs
- 2cups mashed sweet potatoes, fresh baked or canned
- 1 1/4cups sugar
- 2tablespoons syrup
- 1/2teaspoon baking powder
- 2teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2teaspoon cinnamon
- 6ounces cream cheese
- 1/2stick butter
- 2cups confectioners' sugar
- 1cup satsuma tangerine slices, seeded (or use Mandarin oranges)
- 1/2cup parched peanuts
- Preheat the oven to 350F. In a blender or food processor, combine boiled peanuts (you may use shelled raw peanuts that have been boiled for 2 hours) and eggs until smooth. Add sweet potatoes, sugar, syrup, baking powder and spices. Process again until smooth.
- Spray 2 round cake pans with nonstick cooking spray. Fill with batter. Bake 60 minutes. Cool. Be sure cakes are completely cool before removing from pans.
- Combine cream cheese, melted butter and confectioners’ sugar. Spread between layers and over the top and sides of cake. Decorate with satsumas and parched peanuts.
Recipe by By Cindy Aman, Dothan, Ala., 2005 Grand Prize Winner, National Peanut Festival, Dothan, Ala.