- Yield: 8
Chef Mortenson uses four kinds of chile pepper in this recipe: 1/2 teaspoon cayenne, 1/2 teaspoon chile de arbol, 1/4 teaspoon ground chipotle and 1/4 teaspoon ground pasilla. We found that it works find with just cayenne. Adjust the amount according to your taste.
- 9 eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 7 1/2tablespoons plus 1 1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1 1/2cups water
- Seeds from 1 vanilla bena
- 1/8teaspoon salt
- 2cups butter
- 18ounces valrhona chocolate (61%), chopped
- 9 1/2ounces Ibarra chocolate, chopped
- 1 1/2teaspoons cayenne
- Preheat oven to 325F. Butter 8 (8-ounce) ramekins.
- Beat eggs, yolks and 7 1/2 tablespoons sugar with an electric mixer until tripled in volume.
- Combine water, 1 1/2 cups sugar, vanilla bean seeds and salt in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and add butter. Whisk until butter is melted. Add chopped chocolate; whisking until melted. Remove from heat and stir in spices. Let cool slightly.
- Gently fold chocolate mixture into egg foam, taking care not to deflate eggs.
- Spoon batter into ramkins. Place ramekins in a large baking dish. Place dish on oven rack. Fill dish with hot water, to 1-inch below tops of ramekins. Bake 45 minutes. Remove from oven and water bath and let cool slightly. Serve warm.
Recipe by Executive Chef Chris Mortenson of La Condesa in St. Helena, Calif.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 1165
- Fat 83g
- Cholesterol 440mg
- Carbohydrate 111g
- Fiber 7g
- Protein 13g