Blueberry-Wheat Berry Salad
- Yield: 6 servings
- 1-1/2cup Hard winter wheat berries
- 1/2cup celery, finely chopped
- 1/2cup flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1/4cup scallions, finely chopped with some green
- 3tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3/4teaspoon salt
- 1/4teaspoon white pepper
- 1-1/2cup fresh blueberries
- 1/2cup dried blueberries
- 1/2cup walnuts, toasted, chopped
- Rinse and drain wheat berries. In a large saucepan, place wheat berries and cover with 2 inches water; bring to boil; cover pan, reduce heat to simmer and cook until chewy, about 1 hour. Drain, rinse and allow to cool.
- Place cooked, cooled wheat berries in a large bowl; stir in celery, parsley, scallions, lemon juice, oil, salt and pepper. Add fresh blueberries, dried blueberries and walnuts; toss just to combine.
- Chill until service.
Used with permission from the U.S. Highbush Blueberry Council