Blueberry Stuffed French Toast
- Yield 16 servings
The Captain Jefferds Inn in Kennebunkport, Maine gives French toast a rich makeover with the addition of a heavenly blueberry cream cheese filling.
- French Toast
- 4 loaves crusty French bread
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup part-skim milk ricotta cheese
- 1/3 cup blueberry preserves
- 1 cup frozen or fresh blueberries
- 5 eggs
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 dash ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups blueberries
- 1/2 water
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch salt
- dash nutmeg
- Cut French bread into diagonal slices about ½ inch thick.
- In a small mixing bowl, beat together softened cream cheese, ricotta cheese, blueberry preserves and blueberries.
- Spoon about 1 1/2 tablespoon of cheese mixture between two sandwiched pieces of bread. (The stuffed bread slices may be prepared the day before serving and refrigerated overnight in a tightly sealed plastic bag.)
- In a mixing bowl, beat the eggs, milk, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg until combined. Melt the butter on a griddle preheated to 350F.
- Dip each prepared piece in the egg mixture, place on griddle and cook until golden brown, turning once. Serve with blueberry sauce or syrup of choice.
- Combine water, corn starch, lemon juice, sugar, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg in pot. Whisk to blend.
- Add blueberries and stir constantly over medium heat until sauce is clear and slightly thickened.
—Recipe courtesy of Erik and Sarah Lindblom of The Captain Jefferds Inn, Kennebunkport, Maine.