Blueberry Poppyseed Cake
- Yield 12 servings
The tart lemon flavor with the sweet blueberries is the perfect combination.
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 6 tablespoons margarine, softened
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 cups plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 tablespoon poppyseeds
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 cups fresh blueberries, or 2 cups frozen blueberries, thawed and well drained
- 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, approximately
- Preheat oven to 350F. Coat a 9- or 10-inch springform pan with nonstick cooking spray and dust with flour.
- In a mixing bowl, beat 2/3 cup sugar with margarine until light and fluffy. Add lemon rind and egg, beating 2 minutes.
- In another bowl, combine 1 1/2 cups flour, poppyseeds and baking soda; add to margarine mixture alternately with sour cream. Spread batter over bottom and 1 inch up the sides of the prepared pan.
- In a medium bowl, combine drained blueberries, remaining sugar and remaining flour, mixing gently. Spoon blueberry mixture over batter. Bake 50 to 60 minutes, until the crust is golden brown. Let cool slightly and remove sides of springform pan.
- In a cup, combine confectioners' sugar and enough lemon juice to form a glaze. Drizzle over top of warm cake.