Blueberry Pie Ice Cream
- Yield 8 servings
Crumbled pieces of blueberry pie are churned into a blueberry-flavored custard.
- 1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries or frozen blueberries, thawed
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup chopped blueberry pie pieces
- Combine blueberries, 1/4 cup sugar and orange juice in a saucepan and bring to a boil over low heat, stirring occasionally. Simmer 5 minutes, or until thickened.
- Add cream, milk and salt to the saucepan and stir well. Bring mixture to a simmer, stirring occasionally.
- Beat eggs and remaining 1/4 cup sugar until thick and light yellow in color. Slowly beat about one-third of the hot cream mixture into the eggs, then pour egg mixture into pan. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens, about 5 minutes. Do not allow mixture to boil. Remove from heat and refrigerate until completely cool.
- Pour into the canister of an ice cream maker and freeze according to instructions. Stir in pie pieces. Makes 4 cups.
Reprinted with permission from Ellen Brown’s Scoop: 125 Specialty Ice Creams from the Nation’s Best Creameries (Running Press, May 2011).