Blueberry Muffins with Cinnamon Topping
- Yield 12 servings
"We grow our own blueberries on our farm, and for years I searched for the perfect muffin recipe. I finally created this recipe, and it has been a hit with my family and friends for many years."
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter or margarine
- 2 large eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 cup plus 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 3 teaspoons grated orange rind (optional)
- 2 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Grease and flour the cups of muffin tins. Combine the flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt in a large bowl. Cut in the butter, until the mixture resembles small peas. Make a well in the center, and add the eggs, milk, vanilla, and almond extract. Mix gently just until the liquid is absorbed. Gently fold in the berries. Fill 24 regular or 12 large muffins cups in the prepared tins.
- For the topping, blend the sugar, flour, cinnamon, and butter together, and sprinkle evenly over the top of each muffin.
- Bake the muffins for 23 to 30 minutes, until the center springs back to the touch. The larger muffins will take a bit longer. Makes 24 medium-size or 12 large muffins.
Recipe by Helen K. Woronik, Salem, Conn.