Blueberry Muffins with Cinnamon Topping
- Yield: 12 servings
"We grow our own blueberries on our farm, and for years I searched for the perfect muffin recipe. I finally created this recipe, and it has been a hit with my family and friends for many years."
- 4cups all-purpose flour
- 2tablespoons baking powder
- 1cup sugar
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 1cup butter or margarine
- 2large eggs, slightly beaten
- 1cup plus 3 tablespoons milk
- 1teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2teaspoons almond extract
- 3teaspoons grated orange rind (optional)
- 2cups blueberries, fresh or frozen
- 1/4cup sugar
- 4tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2tablespoons cold butter
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Grease and flour the cups of muffin tins. Combine the flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt in a large bowl. Cut in the butter, until the mixture resembles small peas. Make a well in the center, and add the eggs, milk, vanilla, and almond extract. Mix gently just until the liquid is absorbed. Gently fold in the berries. Fill 24 regular or 12 large muffins cups in the prepared tins.
- For the topping, blend the sugar, flour, cinnamon, and butter together, and sprinkle evenly over the top of each muffin.
- Bake the muffins for 23 to 30 minutes, until the center springs back to the touch. The larger muffins will take a bit longer. Makes 24 medium-size or 12 large muffins.
Recipe by Helen K. Woronik, Salem, Conn.