Blueberry Ice Cream
- Yield 4 cups
This blueberry icecream with become a family favorite!
- 2 2/3 cups blueberries
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 2/3 tablespoons water
- 1 -- (2-inch) strip lemon zest
- -- Zest of 1 navel orange, removed in strips
- 1 1/3 cups heavy cream
- 2/3 cup half-and-half
- 1 1/3 tablespoons orange liqueur
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 teaspoon vanilla extract
- -- Salt to taste
- Combine the blueberries, sugar, water, lemon zest and orange zest in a large saucepan and bring to a boil. Cook, covered, for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes longer. Discard the lemon and orange zests.
- Puree the mixture in batches in a food processor. Combine with the heavy cream, half-and-half, liqueur, lemon juice, vanilla and salt in a bowl and mix well. Press through a fine sieve into a large bowl. Chill, covered for 1 hour.
- Pour into an icecream freezer container and freeze using the manufacturer's instructions. Store in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 5 days.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Louisville’s Splendor in the Bluegrass (Junior League of Louisville, KY 2000).