- Yield: 8 servings
- Prep: 15 mins
- Cook: 45 mins
Crumbles are the link between cobblers and that other realm of fruit desserts -- crisps and Betties.
- 3pints blueberries
- 3/4cup granulated sugar
- 1tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4teaspoon salt
- 1teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- Finely grated rind of 1 lemon
- Lemon juice (optional)
- 1 1/2cups all purpose flour
- 2/3cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 8tablespoons unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Combine berries, granulated sugar, cornstarch, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and lemon rind; toss gently. Add lemon juice if berries are not tart enough. Spoon fruit mixture into a greased 2-quart casserole dish.
- Combine flour and brown sugar. Cut in butter with a pastry blender or two knives until mixture resembles coarse meal. Sprinkle over fruit.
- Bake until topping is golden brown and filling is bubbly in the center, about 45 minutes.
Recipe by Damon Lee Fowler.