Overnight Blueberry Crumb Cake
- Yield 12 servings
- Prep 8 mins
- Cook 25 mins
A crowd-pleasing, very berry, irresistibly crumb-topped cake to prepare the night before and bake in the morning for a great breakfast or brunch treat.
“Have another slice—think of blueberries’ antioxidant effect. This recipe is easy and a crowd-pleaser.” —The Schramm House Bed & Breakfast, Burlington, Iowa
- -- Nonstick cooking spray
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 cup 2% reduced-fat milk
- 2 -- eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- Coat a 13-by-9-inch glass baking dish with nonstick spray.
- Sift together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Using a pastry cutter or two knives, cut in shortening.
- Combine milk and eggs; beat until mixed. Add to dry ingredients. Mix lightly. Fold in berries. Spread in pan, cover and refrigerate overnight.
- The Next Day, preheat oven to 375F.
- To prepare the topping, combine sugar, flour and butter in a small bowl. Mix until crumbly. Spread over batter. Bake, uncovered, about 25 minutes, until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean and topping is lightly browned.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Carol Gordon’s Sleep On It (Hyperion, 2006).