Chicken Blueberry Waffles
- Yield servings
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup masa harina
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle pepper
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 4 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon zest
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped English walnuts, toasted*
- 1 1/2 cups cooked chicken, cubed
- Whipped Orchard Butter
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup purchased fruit butter (may use peach, apricot or apple)
Heat non-stick waffle iron according to manufacturer's instructions.
In a large mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients; add buttermilk, eggs, oil, and zest. Mix just to combine. Fold in blueberries, walnuts, and chicken.
Pour batter onto heated waffle grid to about 1" from edges. Bake until waffles are dark golden brown. Remove waffles from iron to ovenproof platter and keep in warm oven (200F) until serving.
Spread warm waffles with Orchard Butter.
To make Orchard Butter:
Thoroughly beat butters with electric mixer in a medium mixing bowl. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
*Bake walnuts at 350F for 3-5 minutes or until walnuts commence to brown. Cool before adding to recipe.