Blueberry Breakfast Cake
- Yield 10 to 12 servings
Topped with fresh blueberries and a sweet crumb, this breakfast cake feeds a crowd.
- 3 1/2 cups fall-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 2 -- eggs
- 1/4 cup apple butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups blueberries
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- Mix the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in a bowl. Cut in 1/2 cup butter until coarse crumbs form. Reserve 1 cup of the flour mixture.
- Add baking powder and baking soda to the remaining flour mixture and mix well. Beat in the buttermilk, eggs, apple butter and vanilla.
- Pour into a 9 x 13-inch baking dish sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Top with the blueberries.
- Cut 2 tablespoons butter into the reserved flour mixture. Sprinkle over the blueberries.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes. Cool before serving.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Mobile, Bay Tables (Junior League of Mobile, 1999)