Blueberry Bread Pudding with Ginger Sauce
- Yield: 8 to 10 servings
I developed this recipe to use my abundance of blueberries. My family and I have a tradition of going to the blueberry patch every July 4th. With the sometimes stifling heat here in the South, it is not always easy to get my teenage boys to adhere to this tradition. This recipe helps serve as a reward for their hard efforts, and I get to enjoy some great togetherness with my boys. Hopefully, this tradition of ours will endure.
- Blueberry-Ginger Sauce:
- 2cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1/2cup sugar
- 1tablespoon crystallized ginger or 1/2 teaspoon dried ginger
- 1/4cup water
- 1 1/2cups sugar
- 4large eggs
- 1cup whipping cream
- 2cups milk
- 1teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 (16-ounce) loaf challah bread, cut into 2-inch cubes
- 1cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- For the sauce, combine blueberries, sugar, ginger and water in medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, reduce heat to a simmer and cook 3 to 5 minutes or until sauce thickens.
- For the pudding, preheat oven to 375F. Lightly grease a 13-by-9-inch baking pan.
- In large bowl, beat sugar and eggs at medium speed with an electric mixer until fluffy. Add whipping cream, milk, vanilla and nutmeg, beating until blended. Fold in bread cubes and blueberries. Pour into baking pan. Let stand 5 minutes. Place in oven and bake 40 to 45 minutes. Cool in pan 5 minutes. To serve, top with Blueberry Ginger Sauce and whipped cream, if desired.
—Recipe by Candace McMenamin, Lexington, S.C.