Blue Plate Black Beans
- Yield 2 cups
- Prep 5 mins
- Cook 80 mins
This recipe is used in the Mexican Benedict.
Make the black beans ahead and refrigerate until you’re ready to use.
- 1 cup dry black beans
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons canned diced green chiles
- 1/4 cup diced white onions
- 1/4 cup picante sauce (such as Pace)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano or 1 tablespoon fresh
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Place beans in a colander and rinse well. Place in large saucepan, add water, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Add remaining ingredients and simmer 20 minutes.
Recipe courtesy of the Blue Plate Diner, Salt Lake City, Utah.