Blue Cheese Potato Pancakes with Apple Topping
- Yield 4 servings
Blue cheese is incorporated into the potato mixture, each cake is fried crisp, then topped with more blue cheese and a sweet apple topping.
- 12 ounces (about 3 medium) potatoes, peeled or 12 ounces packed hashbrowns
- 1/3 cup onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 1/3 cups Wisconsin Blue Cheese, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- Butter and vegetable oil for frying
- Prepared applesauce or apple pie filling, for topping
- If using fresh potatoes, grate, rinse in cold water and drain well. Scatter on dish towel and ring potatoes in towel to dry further.
- In bowl, mix potatoes, onion, garlic, egg, flour, cornstarch, half the cheese, salt and pepper. Preheat large skillet. Add enough butter and oil to coat skillet. Scoop 1/4 cup portions of potato mixture into skillet; flatten slightly. Fry until golden brown, turning once. Repeat with remaining batter, adding butter and oil to skillet as needed. For each serving, sprinkle 1/4 of remaining cheese onto plate. Top with 3 pancakes. Accompany with desired apple topping. Serve hot.
Recipe courtesy of the Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board