Blue Cheese Crackers
- Yield 5-6 dozens
- Cook 13-15 minutes
Even those who aren't fans of blue cheese will love these savory crackers.
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup pecan pieces,toasted and cooled
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into12 pieces
- 6 ounces cold blue cheese,crumbled or cut into small pieces
- 1 egg, separated
- Put flour in a food processor fitted with the steel blade. Add pecans and pulse until pecans are finely chopped. Add butter and blue cheese and pulse until a mix of pea-sized lumps and sandy crumbs forms. Add egg yolk and pulse again just until dough comes together.
- Scrape dough onto a large sheet of wax paper and press. Cut dough into halves and form each piece into a 10-inch log. Wrap in wax paper and freeze until firm, 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375F. Cover 2 large baking sheets with parchment.
- Cut logs into 1⁄4-inch-thick slices and arrange about 1⁄2 inch apart on the baking sheets. Lightly beat egg white and brush on tops of crackers. Prick with a fork. Bake 13 to 15 minutes, until golden brown. Let cool. Store in an airtight container. Makes 5 to 6 dozen.
Recipe from Catherine Newman’s blog, benandbirdy.blogspot.com.