Blissful Corn Torte
- Yield: 12 servings
- Prep: 15 minutes
- Cook: 40 to 45 minutes
- 1cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4cup granulated sugar
- 8 eggs, separated, room temperature
- 3/4cup rice flour
- 1tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2cup heavy cream
- 4cups fresh corn kernels
- 1cup whole milk
- 1teaspoon coarse salt
- Powdered sugar, optional
- Preheat oven to 350F. Butter a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- Beat butter with an electric mixer on high speed until creamy. Add granulated sugar and beat until fluffy. Reduce speed to low and add egg yolks, one at a time, beating until well blended.
- Combine rice flour and baking powder. Alternately add flour mixture and heavy cream to butter mixture, a little at a time, beating until well mixed.
- Place corn kernels and milk in a blender or food processor and pulse until roughly puréed. Add to butter mixture and beat until well combined, scraping down sides of bowl as needed.
- Place egg whites and salt in another large bowl. Beat, with clean beaters, until stiff peaks form. Gently fold a fifth of the egg whites into the butter mixture until blended. Fold in remaining egg whites, taking care not to deflate them. Batter may look streaky.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 40 to 45 minutes, until torte is springy to the touch and lightly browned. Let cool slightly.
- Cut into squares and serve warm, room temperature, or cold. Sprinkle powdered sugar on top, if using.
Recipe excerpted from Pati’s Mexican Table © 2013 by Pati Jinich. Reproduced by permission of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. All rights reserved.