Blackeyed Peas Creole
- Yield 8 servings
This blackeyed peas creole makes a colorful and delicious side dish.
- 2 strip bacon
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 -- (20-ounce) can tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet basil
- -- Salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 2 packages frozen blackeyed peas
- Fry bacon until crisp; remove from fat and drain. Brown the onion, green pepper, and celery in fat; add crumbled bacon and tomatoes, sugar, bay leaf, sweet basil, salt and pepper. Simmer for 5 minutes. Add 2 packages frozen blackeyed peas to the above without thawing. Cook slowly for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, adding water when necessary.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of Little Rock’s Little Rock Cooks (Little Rock, Arkansas 1972).