- Yield: 12 servings
- 1cup vegetable shortening
- 3 eggs
- 2cups sugar
- 1cup blackberries, fresh or frozen
- 1cup buttermilk
- 1teaspoon baking soda
- 3cups all-purpose flour
- 1teaspoon salt
- 1teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1teaspoon ground cloves
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round cake pans.
- Cream the shortening, eggs, and sugar with a mixer at medium speed. Add the blackberries.
- Mix the buttermilk and baking soda in a small bowl. Combine the flour, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon, and cloves in a large bowl; mix well.
- Add the buttermilk mixture and the dry ingredients alternately to the creamed mixture; beat well. Pour into the prepared cake pans.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out almost clean. Do not overbake. Cool on a wire rack.
– Elsie Cumpton, Worthington, Ky.