Blackberry and Local Honey Ice Cream
- Yield 1 1/2 Quarts
Local honey and fresh, summer blackberries are heavenly mixed in this vanilla ice cream.
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- Pinch of Kosher salt
- 1 vanilla bean pod, deseeded
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup blackberries, quartered
- 1 tablespoon local honey
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine milk and sugar. Stir occasionally until the sugar completely dissolves and tiny bubbles form around the edges of the pan. Take off the heat, and add the salt and vanilla seeds along with the vanilla pod to the milk and sugar mixture. Allow to steep and cool for at least 10 minutes.
- Whisk in the heavy whipping cream and discard the vanilla bean pod. Cover and place in the fridge for a few hours until completely chilled, at least 2 hours.
- Using an ice cream maker, add the chilled ice cream base to the machine and freeze according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Once the mixture has thickened, add the blackberries and drizzle in the honey. Once the machine has finished, scoop the ice cream into a freezer proof container and freeze for at least 2 hours.