Mark Boughton Photography / styling by Teresa Blackburn
- 3 egg yolks
- 3/4cup sugar
- 1cup whipping cream
- 2cups whole milk
- 1 1/2teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2cup finely chopped black walnuts (or English walnuts)
- Beat egg yolks and sugar with electric mixer until thick and pale, about 2 minutes. Set aside.
- Combine cream and milk in a medium saucepan; heat over medium-high heat until tiny bubbles form around the edge of pan (about 180F,) stirring often. Add one-third of the hot milk mixture to egg mixture, stirring with a whisk; slowly add mixture back to pan, stirring constantly with a whisk. Cook, stirring occasionally, over medium-low heat until mixture coats the back of a spoon, about 4 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla. Cover and refrigerate until chilled, at least 1 hour.
- Pour mixture into canister of ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer’s instructions. During the last few minutes of churning, add black walnuts. Serves 9.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 250
- Fat 27g
- Cholesterol 105mg
- Sodium 35mg
- Carbohydrate 21g
- Fiber 0g
- Protein 4g