Black Walnut Apple Cake
- Yield: 10 servings
- 2cups granulated sugar
- 3/4cup vegetable oil
- 1/4cup milk
- 3 eggs
- 2teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3cups flour
- 2teaspoons cinnamon
- 1teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 3cups finely chopped and peeled apples
- 1cup chopped black walnuts or English walnuts
- 1/2cup confectioners' sugar (optional)
- Combine the granulated sugar, oil, milk, eggs and vanilla in a large bowl with a wooden spoon.
- Sift the flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt together. Add to the egg mixture and stir until blended.
- Stir in the apples and walnuts. Pour into a greased and floured bundt pan.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour and 20 minutes to 1 hour 30 minutes or until the cake tests done.
- Cool in the pan for 15 minutes. Invert onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Sift the confectioners’ sugar over the top before serving.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of Boston, Boston Uncommon, a Culinary Journey Through Boston’s Distinctive Neighborhoods (The Junior League of Boston, 2007)