Black Thai Mushroom Salad with Lime-Jalapeno Salsa
- Yield: 6 servings
- Lime-Jalapeno Salsa:
- 3tablespoons chopped fresh jalapeno peppers
- 2tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 1/2teaspoons chopped fresh mint
- 1teaspoon sugar
- 1teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/2teaspoon grated lime peel
- 1 1/2tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/4cup olive oil
- 1 1/2cups peeled, seeded and diced cucumber
- 2tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 1/2tablespoons minced garlic (about 3 cloves)
- 2teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 1/2pounds white button mushrooms, quartered (about 7 1/2 cups)
- 1teaspoon salt
- 1/2teaspoon ground black pepper
- 6cups mixed salad greens
- To prepare salsa: In a small bowl combine jalapeno peppers, cilantro, basil, mint, sugar, soy sauce, lime peel and juice. Whisk in olive oil to combine. Stir in cucumber.
- To prepare salad: In a large skillet, heat oil until hot. Add garlic and ginger; cook and stir over medium heat until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add mushrooms; cook and stir until tender and pale gold, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in salt and pepper; set aside.
- Toss salad greens with Lime Jalapeno Salsa. On 6 serving plates, place an equal amount of salad greens and top with mushroom mixture. Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds, if desired.