Black Thai Mushroom Salad with Lime-Jalapeno Salsa
- Yield 6 servings
The Lime-Jalapeno salsa is the star of the show in this salad of fresh greens and mushrooms.
- Lime-Jalapeno Salsa:
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh jalapeno peppers
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh mint
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lime peel
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups peeled, seeded and diced cucumber
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic (about 3 cloves)
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 pounds white button mushrooms, quartered (about 7 1/2 cups)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 6 cups mixed salad greens
- To prepare salsa: In a small bowl combine jalapeno peppers, cilantro, basil, mint, sugar, soy sauce, lime peel and juice. Whisk in olive oil to combine. Stir in cucumber.
- To prepare salad: In a large skillet, heat oil until hot. Add garlic and ginger; cook and stir over medium heat until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add mushrooms; cook and stir until tender and pale gold, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in salt and pepper; set aside.
- Toss salad greens with Lime Jalapeno Salsa. On 6 serving plates, place an equal amount of salad greens and top with mushroom mixture. Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds, if desired.