Black Rice Salad with Mango and Peanuts
- Yield: 8 servings
- 2 oranges
- 1/4cup fresh lime juice (about 2 limes worth)
- 2tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2tablespoon fish sauce
- 2cups dry black rice
- Kosher salt to taste
- 2 ripe mangoes, peeled, pitted, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1cup fresh cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
- 1cup red onion (about 1/2 large onion), finely chopped
- 1/2cup unsalted, dry-roasted peanuts
- 6 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 jalapeños, seeded, minced
- Remove peel and white pith from oranges. Working over a medium bowl to catch juices and using a small sharp knife, cut between membranes to release orange segments into bowl. Squeeze membranes over bowl to release any juices. Strain juices through a fine-mesh sieve into a small bowl; reserve orange segments.
- Add 1/4 cup lime juice, oil, and fish sauce (if using) to bowl with orange juice; whisk to blend. Set dressing aside.
- Bring rice and 2 3/4 cups water to a boil in a large saucepan. Season lightly with salt. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer until all liquid is absorbed and rice is tender, about 25 minutes. Remove pan from heat and let stand, covered, for 15 minutes. Spread out rice on a rimmed baking sheet, drizzle with dressing, and season lightly with salt; let cool.
- Place mangoes and remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Add rice and toss gently to combine. Season lightly with salt and more lime juice, if desired.
- Substitution options: To make this vegetarian/vegan, omit the fish sauce and you can sub in olive oil instead. If you want it SPICY, opt for Serrano peppers instead!
Recipe courtesy of Nicole, a Registered Dietitian who believes in balance: love what you eat and be what you eat to live a long, healthy life. Her cooking style focuses on disease prevention in otherwise healthy people, emphasizing balance, moderation of all nutrients, and plentiful in what we know to be good. By day, Nicole is the Director of Nutrition Services at a Michigan hospital and by night, she is a home cook, wife, and healthy food blogger.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 292
- Fat 8.5 g
- Sodium 178 mg
- Carbohydrate 51.3 g
- Fiber 5 g
- Protein 7.5 g