Black Forest Magic Cobbler
- Yield 8 servings
The batter rises through the fruit to form a cake-like layer on top.
- 4 cups frozen cherries, thawed
- 2 cups sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup cocoa
- 1 cup 2 percent reduced-fat milk
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Combine cherries and 1 cup of sugar in a medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat until sugar dissolves, cherries released their juices, and liquid thickens slightly. Remove from heat.
- Pour melted butter into 8 (6-ounce) ramekins or a 2-quart baking dish.
- Combine remaining sugar, flour, salt and cocoa. Stir in milk until well combined. Do not overbeat. Pour over butter. Do not stir. Spoon cherries and juice over batter. Do not stir.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes for ramekins or 35 minutes for baking dish, until crust rises to the top and browns. Serves 8.
Recipe by Nancy Vienneau.