Black-Eyed Peas with Garlic
- Yield: 4 servings
- 1tablespoon olive oil
- 1 to 2cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 1 to 2cup red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 (15-ounce) can black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 to 2cup chopped fresh tomatoes
- 2teaspoons chopped fresh oregano (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- 1 to 2teaspoon ground mustard seed
- 1 to 2teaspoon salt
- 1/2cup fat-free, low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onion and pepper and cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add black-eyed peas, tomatoes, oregano, mustard, salt, and broth. Reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes, or until the vegetables are cooked through and the broth is reduced. Serve hot.
Adapted from Prevention Positively Ageless A 28-Day Plan for a Younger Slimmer, Sexier You © 2007 by Cheryl Forberg. Permission granted by Rodale, Inc., Emmaus, PA 18098.