Black-Eyed Peas West African Style
- Yield: 8 servings
- 16ounces dried black-eyed peas
- 8cups water
- 2-- vegetable or chicken bouillon cubes
- 1teaspoon salt
- 2tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1-- onion, chopped
- 2-- garlic cloves, minced
- 1-- (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2teaspoons Garam Masala
- 1teaspoon paprika
- 1teaspoon honey
- -- Salt and pepper
- Rinse black-eyed peas in a colander or strainer and pick through to find any small stones or debris.
- In a large stock pot, boil on high in the measured water for 15 minutes. Crumble bouillon cubes into peas and add salt.
- Reduce heat and simmer 60 to 70 minutes, stirring halfway through cooking.
- In a heavy skillet, heat oil and sauté onion until translucent, add garlic and sauté for another minute, then add tomatoes and spices and cook gently for 10 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add this mixture to the peas and cook for an additional 10 minutes. Serve over rice.