Black-Eyed Peas, Chiles and Cheese
- Yield servings
A delicious combination of flavors make up this appetizer.
- 1 -- (15-ounce) can black-eyed peas
- 3 tablespoons minced onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped green chiles
- 1 tablespoon green chile liquid
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup butter, chopped
- 1 -- (3-ounce) can deviled ham
- 6 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Heat the black-eyed peas in a saucepan until hot; drain. Mash the peas with the back of a spoon. Stir in the onion, green chiles, chile liquid and seasoned salt. Fold in the Cheddar cheese, butter and deviled ham. Spoon into a 9-inch round baking dish. Sprinkle with the mozzarella cheese. Bake at 350F for 20 minutes or until bubble. Serve warm with baked tortilla chips or your favorite crackers.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Savannah’s Downtown Savannah Style (the Junior League of Savannah, Georgia, 1996).