Black-Eyed Peas, Chiles and Cheese
- Yield: servings
- 1-- (15-ounce) can black-eyed peas
- 3tablespoons minced onion
- 2tablespoons chopped green chiles
- 1tablespoon green chile liquid
- 1teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1 1/2cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1/4cup butter, chopped
- 1-- (3-ounce) can deviled ham
- 6ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Heat the black-eyed peas in a saucepan until hot; drain. Mash the peas with the back of a spoon. Stir in the onion, green chiles, chile liquid and seasoned salt. Fold in the Cheddar cheese, butter and deviled ham. Spoon into a 9-inch round baking dish. Sprinkle with the mozzarella cheese. Bake at 350F for 20 minutes or until bubble. Serve warm with baked tortilla chips or your favorite crackers.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Savannah’s Downtown Savannah Style (the Junior League of Savannah, Georgia, 1996).