Black-Eyed Peas and Sausage
- Yield: 6 to 8 servings
- 1 (8-ounce) piece smoked bacon, cubed
- 2cups chopped celery
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1cup onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 3 (15-ounce) cans black-eyed peas and liquid
- 1can warm water
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 1/4teaspoon cayenne pepper (omit if using hot sausage)
- 1 tomato, peeled and diced
- 1pound smoked sausage (hot or regular), thinly sliced
- Fry bacon 5 to 7 minutes. Drain grease, leaving 2 tablespoons in pan. Add celery, green pepper, onion and garlic to bacon and drippings. Saute until onions are clear. Transfer to Dutch oven. Add black-eyed peas, water, salt, pepper and tomato. While bringing peas to a boil, fry sausage in same skillet and drain well. Add sausage to peas and simmer 40 minutes, or longer if thicker broth is desired. Extra cans of peas and more sausage can be added without changing the basics.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of Shreveport-Bossier’sRevel (Shreveport, Louisiana, 2000).