Black-Eyed Pea Succotash
- Yield: 6 to 8 servings
- 2cups drained canned black-eyed peas
- 2cups frozen lima beans, thawed
- 3cups chicken stock
- -- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2tablespoons olive oil
- 1-- onion, chopped
- 1/2-- red bell pepper, chopped
- 1-- poblano chile, seeded and chopped, or 1 mild green banana pepper
- 3cups fresh or frozen corn
- 1/4cup chopped basil or cilantro
- Paprika Oil:
- 1/2cup vegetable oil
- 2-- garlic cloves, minced
- 1tablespoon paprika
- To prepare the succotash. Combine the black-eyed peas, lima beans and chicken stock in a large saucepan and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer and simmer for 45 minutes. Heat the olive oil in a medium skillet. Add the onion, garlic, red bell pepper and poblano chile. Saute over medium heat for 8 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Add to the beans. Add 1 cup of the corn to the beans and mix well.
- Process the remaining 2 cups corn in a blender until smooth, adding a ladle of the bean cooking liquid if needed for the desired consistency. Add the pureed corn to the beans and mix well. Simmer for 15 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the basil and adjust the seasonings.
- To prepare the paprika oil. Heat the vegetable oil in a small skillet and add the garlic. Saute over medium heat until golden brown. Remove from the heat and stir in the paprika. Strain the mixture into a small serving pitcher.
- To serve. Spoon the succotash into a large serving bowl. Drizzle with the paprika oil.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Nancy Wood Moorman To Many Cooks, More Memorable Meals (San Antonio, Tx., 2007).