Black-Eyed Pea Soup
- Yield 10 servings
"This is my family's favorite around a good campfire or the dining table."
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 4 (15-ounce) cans black-eyed peas, undrained
- 1 (14-ounce) can diced unsalted tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (10-ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chilies, undrained
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add sausage; cook until no longer pink, stirring constantly. Drain sausage on paper towels; discard all but 1 tablespoon pan drippings. Add onion and celery to pan; cook until onion is translucent, stirring constantly.
- Add black-eyed peas, tomatoes, tomatoes with green chiles and chili powder. Stir in sausage. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, 30 minutes. Ladle into soup bowls.
Recipe by Pat Tomme, Brownwood, Texas