Black-Eyed Pea Soup
- Yield 8 servings
Perfect for New Year's Day, this soup of black-eyed peas and sausage is sure to bring you luck.
This soup is a must when family is home at New Year's. If my son can't be here, I freeze it for him. It's also always on the stove during deer season to provide hungry hunters with a filling, warm lunch. Serve it with corn bread, salad and dessert.
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 cup finely chopped onions
- 1 pound Polish sausage, cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 (15-ounce) cans black-eyed peas with jalapenos
- 1 (14-ounce) can reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (10-ounce) can mild diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 (4-ounce) can chopped mild green chilies
- 1 to 2 medium jalapeno chilies, seeded and chopped (optional)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Place a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add ground beef and onions and cook until beef is browned, stirring frequently. Drain excess grease.
- Add remaining ingredients; mix well. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and cover tightly. Simmer 45 minutes.
- Refrigerate overnight to allow flavors to blend. Reheat before serving.
– Joyce Gates, Clovis, N.M.