Black-Eyed Pea Salad with Bell Peppers
- Yield: 8 servings
This is a delicious way to enjoy the traditional 'good luck' black-eyed peas on New Year's Day. I prepare most of the traditional foods for Jan. 1 ahead of time, which allows me to watch the parades and football games.
- 1 1/2 to 2pounds black-eye peas or lady peas, cooked
- 1/2cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/2cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 (4-ounce) jar diced pimientos, drained
- 1/4cup cider vinegar
- 1/4cup vegetable oil
- 1teaspoon sugar
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 1/8teaspoon black pepper
- Hot pepper sauce
- Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl; mix well.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 12 hours or overnight before serving.
—Recipe by Frances Barnwell, Marion, N.C.