Black-Eyed Pea Maque Choux
- Yield 12 servings
A black-eyed pea and corn relish that tastes great at room temperature or chilled. Also perfect for tailgating.
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 2 cups frozen Shoe Peg corn, thawed
- 2 cups frozen black-eyes peas, thawed
- 1 cup chopped seeded tomato
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Saute the onion and garlic in the peanut oil in a saucepan until the onion is tender. Stir in the bell peppers, corn and black-eyed peas. Cook for 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the tomato, salt and pepper and mix well. Cook for 1 minute longer or until heated through, stirring frequently. Spoon into a serving bowl.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Baton Rouge, Inc., River Road Recipes IV: Warm Welcomes, Entertaining Menus from Our Homes to Yours (the Junior League of Baton Rouge, Inc., 2004)