Black Devil’s Food Cake with Egyptian Frosting
- Yield 16 servings
"My mother baked this cake for many birthdays in our family - it is also a special treat at Christmas. It's very rich and melts in your mouth. It will stay moist for several days."
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup strong coffee or 1 cup water plus 1 1/2 teaspoons instant coffee granules
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 rounded tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cream
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 chopped cup nuts
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 (1-ounce) square chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease and flour a 13 x 9-inch glass baking dish.
- To prepare the cake, sift the flour, salt, and baking soda into a large mixing bowl. Add the sugar, the cocoa, egg, oil, buttermilk, and coffee. Beat with a mixer at medium speed until smooth, about 2 minutes. Bake 25 to 30 minutes, until a wooden pick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan on a wire rack.
- To prepare the frosting, combine the eggs, sugar, flour, cream, and raisins in a large saucepan. Cook over medium heat until thick, about 15 minutes, stirring constantly. Cool 20 to 30 minutes. Stir in the nuts. Spread the frosting over the cake.
- To prepare the topping, combine the butter and chocolate square in a small bowl and heat in the microwave on Low, stirring every 15 seconds until melted. Drizzle over the frosting.
Recipe by Diane Mauch, Hankinson, N.D.