Black Bottom Ice Cream Pie
- Yield: 8 servings
- 1 1/4cups chocolate wafer crumbs
- 1/4cup melted butter
- -- Filling:
- 2pints chocolate ice cream
- 2-- squares melted semi-sweet chocolate
- 1cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4cup sugar
- 2tablespoons golden rum
- To make the crust. Combine cookie crumbs and melted butter. Mix well. Press mixture evenly on bottom and side of a 9-inch pie plate. Place in freezer.
- To prepare the filling. Let ice cream soften slightly. Beat with electric mixer until smooth. Gradually add melted chocolate, beating constantly. (Chocolate will harden a bit, beat whipping cream until thick. Add sugar and rum and beat until stiff. Spoon on pie. Freeze until very firm, 6 or 8 hours. If desired, garnish with chocolate curls.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Baton Rouge, Inc.’s River Road Recipes II (Baton Rouge, Louisiana, 1976).