Black Bottom Cupcakes
- Yield 20 servings
No frosting needed on these cupcakes!
- 1 -- (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 -- egg
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 -- (6-ounce) package chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Combine cream cheese, egg, sugar and salt and beat well with mixer. Stir in chocolate chips. Set aside.
- Mix flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt for batter. Add water, oil, vinegar and vanilla and beat well with mixer.
- Line muffin tins with paper liners. Fill 1/2 full with batter and top each with a heaping teaspoon of the cream cheese mixture. Sprinkle each with a little sugar. Bake at 350F for 30 to 35 minutes.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Johnson City’s Treasures of the Smokies(Johnson City, Tn., 1986),