Black Bean with Tomato and Cilantro Soup
- Yield 8 servings
- Prep 5 mins
- Cook 20 mins
Bacon and beans work together to make a flavor-rich main-dish soup.
- 1 cup diced bacon
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 cup canned diced tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped jalapeno pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 2 cups canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 8 tablespoons sour cream
- 8 sprigs cilantro
- Cook bacon in a 4-guart saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until slightly crispy, about 5 minutes. Remove all but 2 tablespoons fat.
- Add onion, bell pepper, garlic, tomatoes, jalapeno, oregano and thyme. Sauté, stirring frequently, until onion is soft and translucent.
- Add beans and chicken broth. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until beans are very tender and soup thickens slightly, about 10 minutes. Stir in chopped cilantro and black pepper.
- Serve ladle into soup bowls and garnish each with 1 tablespoon sour cream and cilantro sprig.
Recipe courtesy of the Compass Group.