Black Bean with Tomato and Cilantro Soup
- Yield: 8 servings
- Prep: 5 mins
- Cook: 20 mins
- 1cup diced bacon
- 1/2cup diced onion
- 1/2cup diced red bell pepper
- 1tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1cup canned diced tomatoes
- 1/2teaspoon chopped jalapeno pepper
- 1 1/2teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/4teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 2cups canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 6cups chicken broth
- 2tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1/2teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 8tablespoons sour cream
- 8sprigs cilantro
- Cook bacon in a 4-guart saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until slightly crispy, about 5 minutes. Remove all but 2 tablespoons fat.
- Add onion, bell pepper, garlic, tomatoes, jalapeno, oregano and thyme. Sauté, stirring frequently, until onion is soft and translucent.
- Add beans and chicken broth. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until beans are very tender and soup thickens slightly, about 10 minutes. Stir in chopped cilantro and black pepper.
- Serve ladle into soup bowls and garnish each with 1 tablespoon sour cream and cilantro sprig.
Recipe courtesy of the Compass Group.