Black Bean Soup with Salsa
- Yield: 6 servings
I found this delicious recipe on the back of a box of crackers. It sounded interesting, so I tried it. I'm glad I did. My husband and I could hardly put down our spoons.
- 1tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2/3cup chopped onion
- 1tablespoon ground cumin
- 3 (15-ounce) cans black beans, undrained, divided
- 1 (15-ounce) can lower-sodium chicken broth
- 3cups medium chunky salsa
- 1 lime, juice and grated peel
- 1/4cup chopped cilantro, optional
- Sour cream, optional
- Heat vegetable oil in a large saucepan. Add onions and cumin and cook over medium heat until the onions are tender.
- Puree 2 cans of beans with their liquid and chicken broth in a blender. Add to saucepan.
- Stir in remaining can of beans, salsa, lime juice and zest, and cilantro, if using. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer 30 minutes. Top each serving with a dollop of sour cream, if desired.
—Recipe by Virgie Griffith, Washington, Texas
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 260
- Fat 4g
- Sodium 1290mg
- Carbohydrate 38g
- Fiber 12g
- Protein 12g