Black Bean Soup
- Yield 6 to 8 servings
In Florida, thick Black Bean Soup is served over cooked rice with chopped onion on top, Cuban style.
- 1 -- (1-pound) package black beans
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 4 -- garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 4 ounces lean ham, chopped
- 8 cups water
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 -- bay leaves
- -- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Rinse and sort beans, then soak overnight in water. Drain beans.
- In a large pot coated with nonstick cooking spray, saute onion, garlic, green pepper, celery and ham over medium-low heat until tender, about 5 minutes. Add beans, water, Worcestershire sauce, sugar, cumin and bay leaves. Cook over low heat 2 hours, until beans are tender, adding water if needed. Add salt and pepper. Discard bay leaves before serving.